Wednesday 12 September 2012

What is wrong with Yoruba movies?

Kunle Afolayan and ramsey Nouah on set of Figurine
Before you start making comments, kindly read through this small piece. Yoruba movies have come a long way and the stakeholders are really trying their best but, in certain areas, they are not doing well at all.
If you cannot do something well, don't bother doing it in the first place. Having realised that there is a huge market for them outside the country, producers started subtitling their movies but most of them (70%) have goofed.
If you sit down to watch Yoruba movies (I am a Yoruba woman so I cannot speak for other languages), you would be appalled by what they called 'sub titled in English'.
Bad grammar, wrong insertion and pure transliteration. If you love yourself, just listen instead of trying to read what was said.
Meanwhile, it would be displayed in the credit that there was a sub title editor. Editor my foot.
The irony of it is that many of these videos parade educated actors and actresses. I am not blaming them at all with their busy schedule but the producers and directors are culpable.
Watch Omo Isonu, you will appreciate my concern. I am sure you have your list too.
I expect them to learn from people like Tunde Kelani and Kunle Afolayan.

1 comment: