Thursday 12 February 2015

We can blend bata drum into hip hop - SOJ Bata

It is uncommon for a young person to opt for bata drumming amongst the various sophisticated instruments around but Oluwatisomiji Ojo Aladegoroye learnt and it with dexterity which betrays his passion for his choice of profession.
He holds a degree in computer science from Lagos State Polytechnic (Laspotech) and also have the highest certificate (General HSE) from the Nigerian Institute Of Safety Professionals immediately he finished from Nigerian Institute Of Information Technology.
Popularly known as SOJ bata, he describes himself as a freelance bata drummer as he aspires to assemble a bata based percussion group.
In this interview with Seyi Eretan, SOJ bata speaks passionately about bata drumming, his experience and the belief that bata can blend into other genres.



Journey into bata drumming
Sincerely, I would say its curiosity first then interest and passion because I was not born into a drumming family, infact my parents have nothing to do with drums. I attended the same elementary school where my mummy taught (she is dead now) and was opportune to be tutored by one Mrs. Bakare as a subject teacher. She was the one that fuelled my interest in Yoruba language: the culture, ways, values and how to appreciate yourself as a Yoruba.
Meanwhile, my mother was then the choir mistress of our church (Celestial Church of Christ Agege Parish 1), so we the children just graduated from the junior choir to the adult choir. As at that time, I played other types of drums like Alumole and Conga but I felt I needed to graduate to something more glorious.
There was a particular day the choir has an outing around Mowe, Ogun State in 2001 and there was no space for the Conga drum in the bus so the choirmaster had to drop the drum. It was very painful because my mummy didn’t allow me to go with them and I had stay in the church premises till they get back the next day. That singular event further made me resolve to learn something else that is more traditional than conga, so I chose bata.

Why Bata?
I actually started with the talking drum (Gangan). There was a guy called Tayo, the first talking drum player for Lanre Teriba, who agreed to teach me. I go to his house every morning for practice but he noticed I was not really excited about the drum, so he offered a solution.
 
Apprenticeship
He took me to Mr. Lateef also known as Baba Ruka, who comes from a lineage of bata drummers. He is the first bata drummer in Lagbaja’s band, his younger (Razak) took over while their father (Baba Ayankola) was the first bata drummer of Hubert Ogunde. I learnt Baba Ayankola’s Bata band in Iseyin, Oyo State normally go to the palace of Alaafin of Oyo anytime the king has any function.  I met him once at the National Theatre but he died in 2006,
When I told Mr. Lateef that I am from Ondo State, he said it doesn’t matter so long as I am serious and have interest in learning. To test my level of seriousness, he told me to get a bata drum for myself which I did and he took me and other four guys in. I spent one and a half years learning the rudiments of bata drumming.
I told him I prefer Omele bata to Iya bata which is the bigger size. I chose Omele bata because it is very handy and much more in demand than the Iya bata which is majorly for cultural purposes.
 
Unforgettable experience
There is a Awori Ota Igunnuko masquerade coven, led by an ex-military officer called General, beside my boss’ house in Ifako Agege.  Anytime we start rehearsal, General and some other adherents would come to observe and even buy drinks which I don’t partake in as I don’t drink. Whenever they have events, my boss would be invited to play so I had to be there.
There was a day the Olota of Ota wanted egungun masquerade festival, General as one of the palace subject had move his own egungun masquerade from Agege to the king’s palace. He gave my boss the task of assembling the best bata drummers in Agege and its environs to accompany him and his entourage of egunguns to Ota.
As an apprentice, you will not believe this, I had to join them to walk barefooted as we played from Eyiowuawi Street in Agege to the front of Olota’s palace. It was in the day time.
I did it for three reasons: I was an apprentice, I can’t let my boss down and I saw it as an opportunity for me to meet with the Olota.
 
Lessons learnt from the experience
Growing up, we usually had to pass through the masquerade gatherings on our way to church without any disturbance from them. That was the closest contact I had with them until I did my apprenticeship.
Although I couldn’t sleep well for about three days after the Ota experience, I still came out with one or two lessons. I learnt more about the Yoruba tradition and Ota people. Professionally as a bata drummer, you dare not criticize, don’t be sentimental and don’t let tribal issues get into your head.
 
First time on stage
I got a job to play with Prince Bode’s band where my boss used to play. Due to one thing or the other, my boss couldn’t play that day so he told me to get on stage with the band. At first, I was shy but after about 20 minutes I blended in perfectly. That first performance fetched me N3000.
 
Fulfillment in the profession
To some extent, I can say it is fulfilling but it can be better. All the same, I give God the glory. Bata drumming has taken me to some West African countries like Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic when I was with Atunda Entertainment.
When Ara who used to be the face of Atunda left, we needed to rebrand. We had a three-month rehearsal and toured the Nigeria for three months to rebrand.
 
Infusion of Bata into hip hop music
It is very possible. Lagbaja is doing it. I see 2face and D’banj as excellent performers who can control the stage perfectly and willing to diversify. Infusing Bata into hip hop music depends on the artist if he knows what he is doing.
Most artists now depend on the hype that comes from their beat and not the lyrics. This is the more reason people like 2face will continue to drop hits upon hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment