Wednesday 5 September 2012

No! Not mad but ragged

A student enjoying Rag day

When I came across some people like this guy at Gbagada, Lagos, I had to ask questions. From the way they were dressed and the paper-wrapped tin they carried, I knew it was Rag Day but I still must ask questions. You will know why.
Nigerian higher institutions, I don't know about private ones, usually observe the day to raise money for whatever. I really don't know because when I did it in those days, I was just attracted by the mode of dressing and the fun of just moving around with your friends.
We were supposed to have our ID cards on us and the tin covered with a Student Union Government paper so as not to be mistaken for a mentally derailed person because of the manner of dressing.
Back to now. One of the people I saw actually came across as a secondary school student and, as a journalist, I asked questions. I was proved right.
The particular guy had no ID. I think, his friends are his ID card. He carried a plastic container without a wrapper and he looks too naive for an undergraduate. I approached him and we had a conversation that goes something like this:
Me: You are really enjoying this thing o.
Guy:  Yes o. It is small madness.
Me: Is that the name?
Guy: Yes.
Me: What level are you?
Guy: Level?
Me: Level in school, I mean you are in year what?
Guy: I have not entered o. My friend just said I should join them to have a feel of it and I am really having fun. When I gain admission, I will do it every time.
Me: If I give you money now, what will you do with it?
Guy: They (friends) said the school will collect all their own but we would share my own.

Do you see why I had to ask questions. What if this wanna be does not gain an admission this session? Your guess is as good as mine. He will enjoy and reap from from Rag Day and before you know it, they may form a syndicate.

1 comment: